Saturday, January 14, 2006

Five Weird Things About Me

I was blog-tagged about a week back now by Brad Spangler (I didn't even know he'd read my blog) with one of those nasty blog memes. It's not that it's taken me this long to think up five weird things, more like it took this long to whittle the list down to something this short.

1 - My nickname at work is Little Penguin. Long story.

2 - I am obsessed with dinosaurs, as this blog's name itself indicates. Even stranger, I didn't pick up this obsession at age six like most kids. I loved dinosaurs when I was a kid, sure, but like most people who don't grow up to be paleontologists, I left it behind for years. Then in my early 20s, I rediscovered it. I have a collection of plastic dinos, dozens of books, DVDs, videos... I've even rewatched the execrable Jurassic Park II just so I could see the pachycephalosaurs and stegosaurs again.

3 - I'm 27 and I've never been drunk. I'm not a complete teetotallor, I don't avoid it for any particular religious reasons. I just don't see any reason to drink that much. Plus, I don't like the taste of beer or wine.

4 - I can deconstruct television shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lost as though they were Classics of English Literature. My girlfriend (She who is both wise and beautiful) and I do this for fun, teasing out strands of character development, plot and dialogue to analyze how they create the program, for better or worse.

5 - Even though my musical tastes usually run to punk, alt-country and old country and art-pop, I really like Meatloaf. Especially the Bat Out of Hell albums. And not in an ironic way. They're just good!

For the end of this meme, I'm supposed to tag five other people. I'm going to blatantly break this rule and just tag one - my friend Mr. Misanthropy. Because I know his list would be entertaining, and because he should blog more in general.

No comments: